Monday, November 3, 2014



I started marketing my art as a sign writer for commercial strips. A&A Builders Supply off 65th was my first gig. I painted "carpet sales" on the windows every time they had a sale. Thanks Tony Gonzales for the Work. I owned a Schwinn Varsity ten speed with a rack. 11 miles away from home. As soon as I got my vehicle a 58 Chevy panel I went big leagues and started painting signs and murals. Most of the Northern California skating rinks became my canvas. My first mural was in Cal Skate in Sacramento then onto Roseville Roller King where I painted the mural, signs and graphics. The best gig was West Sac Speedway where I lettered race cars for about 5 race teams about $500 per car cash. The work was "sustainable" because the guys crashed them on the weekend...

In order to raise a family I moved into painting warehouses, houses and churches. 4 years ago I met a gentleman from Sydney who ran a creative arts school, Jeff Crabtree. He had me close my eyes in order to see or vision my future success as an "artist". He had me shut my eyes and the he said do you see your self as an professional artist... "Yes", do you see yourself as successful artist... "Yes". Do you see yourself traveling the world as an artist... "Yes. Do you see yourself as a famous artist "yes. With my eyes closed he paused for a moment very quiet, then he yelled at the top of his big voice "now go do it"!!!!!!!!!!!!

I returned to Sacramento to start my journey four years ago this week. I felt strongly to go inside a metal sculpture artist studio but hesitated for several days till I couldn't stand it. I knocked and a tall black man in a elders outfit and welding mask flipped up said yes can I help you? I said I don't know, I'm just supposed to be here... For the next 30 minutes  Larry Meeks sculptor prophesied the last four years of my life and beyond to the tee. He told me to stay out of the current art culture because of egos and infighting. He told me how to price art so I would not become a "discount art seller"... He said first give away your gift to several non-profits and then go for it.

Four hard years where most did not take me seriously until now. King David wrote an interesting story of an ancient leader named Joseph. He wrote that Joseph was bound, shackled and suffered till his vision came true. This week marks my 4 years journey in the art market. From Star Bucks coffee houses 5 at one time, to opening my own art gallery in Danville, to Burgers and Brew, to Mid Town Wine Bar, to teaching art in private schools, to painting live for the Raley's Teal Family event and a whole lot of winery shows... Some in the wind and some in the rain.  Painting over 500 originals from abstract to Impressionism and a couple sports paintings.

6 months ago after a ministry event in Reno, I was waiting for my greyhound bus at a coffee shop along the Truckee River. A man, a complete stranger asked if he could sit down and look at my portfolio, he quietly sauntered page by page not saying a word seeminglya respectful  moment. Then he looked up and said I hope I don't offend you, but I have collected famous art for years, I know many of the sports teams owners. Your art is nice, but  you'll never make a million dollars from it, but your sports art you will... "You are a sports artist, and one of the best I have ever seen. "  I was totally offended because Impressionism and abstract is my passion, ok was my passion! I asked him why this counsel, he told me fine art is tied to the economy but sports art is tied to champions, winners and the wild fan base. 

As I watched the baseball playoffs a momentum started to build in my mind, I kept hearing the stranger from Reno telling me "you're a sports artist".  The night the San Francisco Giants beat the Cardinals securing the World Series fight I decided to transition from all art to the niche of "sports fine art"... I gathered all my other works from East Bay Coffee and elsewhere and delivered them to the Mid Town Wine Bar in Reno to sell off by the end of the year. I purged my studio of anything that resemble my past work.

Mark S. Allen of CBS / CW31 emailed me an friended me on FaceBook. He told me that Cody Stark Good Day weekend Anchor will call me to do a live remote ASAP.  For 3 days my son Josh and I purged, cleaned and purged some more because the press was coming to my studio. Paul Robins of Fox 40 the networked that aired the asked if I would do a live show painting live on set. While live on Fox 40 Steve Sax former baseball player came into talk about his charity, he asked if I would paint several Dodgers and fly down to do a charity event with many Dodger players. Just as soon as the last segment was over, mice down go to commercial... Cody Stark asked me to do the Good Morning show live from my studio where the audience would vote on the top moments of the World Series. When the 31 crew arrived they said first the anchors over at CBS 13 want to have your story before we do the live shot for 31. 4 interviews within 7 days. 

In the fast track one of the most amazing stories is I started painting Madison Gardner the MVP of the World Series. I posted my progress pics on my web store and 30 minutes latter I sold a print while the paint was still wet and the painting unfinished. Since that moment I have sold six prints off an unfinished painting. Almost finished with "MadBum" 20"x60" original it is by far my best work to date currently priced at $12,000.

Mike






2 comments:

  1. Hello Mike: This testimony is awesome. As you know I have watched your progress from afar and I know God is all over this testimony. Blessings to you, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding high quality Yankees art at local galleries is a much more difficult task than I ever expected.

    ReplyDelete